O SOURCE OF ALL GOOD,
What shall I render to thee for the gift of gifts,
thine own dear Son, begotten, not created,
my Redeemer, proxy, surety, substitute,
his self-emptying incomprehensible,
his infinity of love beyond the heart’s grasp.
Herein is wonder of wonders:
he came below to raise me above,
was born like me that I might become like him.
Herein is love;
when I cannot rise to him he draws near on
wings of grace,
to raise me to himself.
Herein is power;
when Deity and humanity were infinitely apart
he united them in indissoluble unity,
the uncreated and the created.
Herein is wisdom;
when I was undone, with no will to return to him,
and no intellect to devise recovery,
he came, God-incarnate, to save me
to the uttermost,
as man to die my death,
to shed satisfying blood on my behalf,
to work out a perfect righteousness for me.
O God, take me in spirit to the watchful shepherds,
and enlarge my mind;
let me hear good tidings of great joy,
and hearing, believe, rejoice, praise, adore,
my conscience bathed in an ocean of repose,
my eyes uplifted to a reconciled Father;
place me with ox, ass, camel, goat,
to look with them upon my Redeemer’s face,
and in him account myself delivered from sin;
let me with Simeon clasp the new-born child
to my heart,
embrace him with undying faith,
exulting that he is mine and I am his.
In him thou hast given me so much
that heaven can give no more.
Consider the beauty of the incarnation today:
- Herein is wonder of wonders – He became like us to save us
- Herein is love – He draws near to us that we might know him
- Herein is power – He does what only God can do for our salvation
- Herein is wisdom – He works out his plan for his glory and our salvation
Thoughts to Guide Your Prayers:
- Rejoice in God’s glory and grace displayed in the incarnation.
- Confess your sin in humility.
- Thank God for his love, power, and wisdom displayed in the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Plead for God to open the eyes of another person [be specific] to the beauty and truth of the gospel.